Cool SSID Names / Misc. Wi-Fi Stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool SSID Names / Misc. Wi-Fi Stuff

I've just recently re-discovered my Wireless router that I actually bought around 3-4 years ago. It had been gathering dust in the closet and then...my iPod touch Christmas present arrived. Now I've been messing using the wireless Internet again. I really enjoy some of the weather apps you can get from the online store.

What are some cool names you have for your SSID broadcast? (The name your wireless hotspot has.) I'd be interested to hear about some funny/unusual ones.

So far, the coolest ones I've come across are:

IHackBack
    F***Off
    9600bps shared dialup
    OUTATIME

Do you secure your wireless access point or just let whoever log on?

Originally posted by Cumulo-nimbus View Post
    I've just recently re-discovered my Wireless router that I actually bought around 3-4 years ago. It had been gathering dust in the closet and then...my iPod touch Christmas present arrived. Now I've been messing using the wireless Internet again. I really enjoy some of the weather apps you can get from the online store.

What are some cool names you have for your SSID broadcast? (The name your wireless hotspot has.) I'd be interested to hear about some funny/unusual ones.

So far, the coolest ones I've come across are:

IHackBack
    F***Off
    9600bps shared dialup
    OUTATIME

Do you secure your wireless access point or just let whoever log on?

wolf
    thisone
    boner

I always lock up my router.....but I connect to others and then 'take over' their router.
    Scott

Originally posted by The Mockingbird
    P.S. Your sister enhanced my Fujita Scale last night.

Comment

Mine is 'Sunstreak'. Dad -- an avid golfer and rules official -- is 'FreeDrop'.

And, yes, absolutely, without a doubt, lock the damn thing down every way you can. Use a password (to encrypt) and enable MAC address filtering (so the router will only talk to computers you've told it are OK.)

Why bother? Admittedly, this is a little inconvenient up front, but once it's set up, you'll never have to think about it, and your computer (and data, including your identity!) will be far, far more secure as a result.
      - It's YOUR Internet connection. YOUR bandwidth. YOUR bill.
      - Allowing someone on your wireless network is like letting their computer in your house with the ability to talk to your computer, and bad things can happen.
      - If someone uses your connection (in your name) to do something untoward, the feds will come looking for YOU. It may not end up being all on you, but they'll be giving YOU the third degree first. I'll pass, thanks.

Comment

Zooropa

Yep, we're U2 fans!

When I went to visit my cousin in San Francisco it was wild getting out the Muni station, checking Maps on my iPhone and seeing about 40 WiFi spots jump on the screen (iPhone will tell you about local WiFi connections you can choose before logging on to either 3G or Edge internet service from AT&T.) I don't remember any unusal names though.
        Everybody's got something to hide 'cept for me and my monkey!

Comment

There used to be one in my neighborhood called

GETOFFMYWIFI

It was unprotected. Dumbass.

Comment

I have two 802.11n networks here, piggybacking each other. I named them Thadius. I don't have a clue why... but they are VERY VERY much encrypted. I can't stand it not having it encrypted.
            I'm a geek... what can you expect?
            wx4svr: Storm Chaser

Comment

A few I've seen around town:

PizzaHutHaters
              WeAreGay
              DontHackMyWiFi

There have been others, those are the ones I remember.

Comment

Right now I see:

GoCubsGo
                hobbs
                jodster
                keshia2
                linksys_ses_41925
                mrickert
                notyours
                roughsexisgood
                ihateiowa

and mine . . . 'united'

Comment

Thanks for the MAC address filtering hint, I think I'm going to implement that today.

My router has the older WEP security, although I set the encryption key to 128-bit strength. It's an older model and I really don't want to spend money to buy a new one right now, no more than it gets used.

I don't worry much about it being hacked into, but you never know. Just watching the Internet activity light blinking sometimes when all my computers are off makes me wonder.

My SSIDs are boring...right now I'm using Cumulonimbus. Bleh. I need to come up with something more exciting.

Comment

darkstar...an homage to the default hostname on the first linux install I did.

wow..that sounded a lot less nerdy in my head

Comment

Originally posted by Cumulo-nimbus View Post
                      I don't worry much about it being hacked into, but you never know. Just watching the Internet activity light blinking sometimes when all my computers are off makes me wonder.
                      Many routers have a screen in the administration system that will show you who/what is connected to your router.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                        Many routers have a screen in the administration system that will show you who/what is connected to your router.
                        type 192.168.1.1 into your browser window

Comment

Originally posted by Dutra2418 View Post
                          Is it safe?
                          -News is Broken

All mouth and no stones New York'rr chickens out of a simple bet.

"Mr. Broken is being a bad boy." - Traffic Goddess

Comment

Originally posted by News Is Broken View Post
                            Is it safe?
                            if youre at home yea, at work it will probably give you a 404...its the address to your router....or most routers that is...some are slight variations 192.162.1.1, 192.160.1.1 etc...just go to start>run type cmd that will pull up a command prompt...type ipconfig...take your ip adress....take the first two numbers keep them..throw out the last two and replace them with ones

^that works with windows xp and vista...for linux type ifconfig in a terminal

Comment

Originally posted by Dutra2418 View Post
                              That one should work for a Linksys router. Some other routers use different IP addresses as their defaults. If the one above doesn't work, try:

Or, if you want to avoid the trial and error, go to

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

When the DOS window opens, type in:

ipconfig

...and hit enter. In the information that gets spit back at you, you're looking for the line that says "Default Gateway." The string of numbers out beside "Default Gateway" is your router's IP address. Type those numbers into your browser, and you should see either your router's configuration page or an authentication page asking you to input a username and password. If you don't know the router's default username and password, try

username: admin
                              password: admin

or

username: admin
                              password: <blank>

(<blank> means don't type anything, just leave it blank.)

If neither of those work, it's usually a simple matter to search the net for your router's default username and password. Practically every router ever made has info listed here, but that site is geared toward setting up port forwarding, so it may be a bit confusing to wade through.

Comment

Working...
                              X