Graduate Schools that have Atmospheric Science/Meteorology Degrees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduate Schools that have Atmospheric Science/Meteorology Degrees

So, I am approaching half way through my junior year at UCD and I asked an advisor about Graduate school. Good news he told me is that since I told him that I will be staying an extra year, there's plenty of time to study for the GREs. So I am planning to study for the GREs this summer and plan to take the GRE General Test in the fall. If I score well enough, then I may not need to take it again. Otherwise, I will keep retaking till I get a satisfactory score. Then...I have more than 3 atmospheric science professors that can give me letters of recommendations. Now, the question I have is that I'm looking at some of the graduate atmospheric science programs such as UCLA (http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/asis/progp...electmajor=02E Kind of confused why the admission rate there is so high since it's prestigous school. Is it because there's not that many graduates that go in that field?) and other schools around the US...that can provide some financial support since Im super poor. I am also interested in applying to the UK of Reading....where they have an excellent atmospheric science research program....but I just am not sure if they will give much finanical support since Im not a Euro resident. So can some tell me...is it possible for poor person to handle living out of state or out of the country? Also...Is my prof right when he says that you shouldnt apply to the same school that you went to in your undergrad years. He says that you should have different professors. Please help me because your responses will help me make a decision in what school I want to attend to.
    Extracted from the Game Show Lingo...

Chuck: " I have rule that has nothing to do you....but I have a rule.
    Shandy Finnesy: What's that?
    Chuck: Never date a girl who carries a dog.
    Shandy Finnesy: So, you would never date me?
    Chuck..Nope! <sarcastically>

Originally posted by FutureWxManNimmy View Post
    So, I am approaching half way through my junior year at UCD and I asked an advisor about Graduate school. Good news he told me is that since I told him that I will be staying an extra year, there's plenty of time to study for the GREs. So I am planning to study for the GREs this summer and plan to take the GRE General Test in the fall. If I score well enough, then I may not need to take it again. Otherwise, I will keep retaking till I get a satisfactory score. Then...I have more than 3 atmospheric science professors that can give me letters of recommendations. Now, the question I have is that I'm looking at some of the graduate atmospheric science programs such as UCLA (http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/asis/progp...electmajor=02E Kind of confused why the admission rate there is so high since it's prestigous school. Is it because there's not that many graduates that go in that field?) and other schools around the US...that can provide some financial support since Im super poor. I am also interested in applying to the UK of Reading....where they have an excellent atmospheric science research program....but I just am not sure if they will give much finanical support since Im not a Euro resident. So can some tell me...is it possible for poor person to handle living out of state or out of the country? Also...Is my prof right when he says that you shouldnt apply to the same school that you went to in your undergrad years. He says that you should have different professors. Please help me because your responses will help me make a decision in what school I want to attend to.
    http://www.nwas.org/links/universities.php
    The Weather Forecaster Webpage

Comment

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/nws/careers.htm

I have always heard good things about Colorado State and Iowa State. Who knows though...

I did not hit you, I simply high-fived your face.

Comment

Originally posted by SevereClear View Post
        http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/nws/careers.htm

I have always heard good things about Colorado State and Iowa State. Who knows though...
        I dunno, I hear they let just about any yahoo into Iowa State...
        The views I post here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer.

Comment

Everyone knows The University of Oklahoma and Penn State are the 2 top ranked meteorological programs!

Comment

you're right QV, so long as you have the order right though..

#1 PSU,
            #2 OSU

Comment

"Unhappy Wife = Get Cheated On"

Comment

It's going to depend on a few things, the first is what type of meteorology are you wanting to do, climate change, models, severe weather research, broadcasting, etc. Different schools will be better than others at different things. If you want to do hurricane research, Florida State, severe weather dealing with supercells, University of Oklahoma, if you are interested in new types of research projects, Texas Tech, if you are into lightning research, Arizona State, or if you want to do broadcast, Mississippi State. (These are not the only options.)

The next thing you need to do is visit the campus. For several reasons, first, are they doing things that interest you, especially if you are wanting a research type program. Next, is their program set up in a fashion that fits you, like do you want hands-on, or more computer based, or possibly more lecture and note based. The final reason (not necessarily the last one though) is to meet the professors, do they seem interesting to you, are they interested in the areas you want to learn about, do you get along with them, etc. I lot of learning deals with the professors you have, you will learn nothing from a professor whose personality conflicts with yours. No matter how much he knows.

Ultimately, all meteorology programs are going to have pros and cons, the best school for you is the one that fits your needs. Don't listen to people on this forum who give you a one choice answer, they are probably a bit biased based on where they went to school. But if you already know the specific area of study you want to go into, these same people will help you narrow your search for what schools to visit.

Hope this helps!!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by QVectorman View Post
                    Everyone knows The University of Oklahoma and Penn State are the 2 top ranked meteorological programs!
                    PFFFFT!

Go UTES!

Comment

Originally posted by FutureWxManNimmy View Post
                      Is my prof right when he says that you shouldnt apply to the same school that you went to in your undergrad years.
                      In most cases, I would agree with that statement, if the dean of the Graduate School is the same Dean as the undergrad program. The philosophies will be the same, and you really should try to gain a "whole world" perspective that comes from new or untouched ideas. For instance, your undergrad prof has to teach a GW philosophy, because the dean subscribes to it. Grad professors may end up filling you with the same GW teachings. If you go to a new school, GW may be completely debunked and you learn climatology in a whole new methodology.

However, costs are apparently very important in your case. If you cannot attend a school outside of your state, in the long run it just doesn't matter. You are still giving yourself an education that others will never have. It's like something an old mentor of mine once said: "Once you have that degree, they can never take it away from you. You can choose whether to use it or not. But if you never get that degree, you'll never know what you could have become."
                      Enjoy the veal! Be sure to tip your weatherman!

Comment

Originally posted by QVectorman View Post
                        yep. you might as well attend OU, because you'll wish you had when its all said and done.

Comment

I mean, seriously, how can you not smile when you see this guy?

Fortune favors the brave.

Comment

Originally posted by scotman1 View Post
                            I mean, seriously, how can you not smile when you see this guy?

That's not the guy who won a national "best mascot" two years in a row. This guy, however, is:

The views I post here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by CyclonesWxMan View Post
                              That's not the guy who won a national "best mascot" two years in a row. This guy, however, is:
                              but then you have to live in Ames, IA.

Comment

Working...
                              X