Graduate Schools that have Atmospheric Science/Meteorology Degrees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll PIMP IT!

Some of the best work comes out of SUNYA! especially on the research end of Meteorology. You have two of the best in the field, Lance Bosart and John Molinari.

Oh...yeah last I checked - they were #3!
    Doing Weather is not a job, it is a Hobby! We are fortunate enough to get paid for it, don't overlook that!

Comment

You don't hear about a lot of the research only because the grads don't normally go into TV. But U of MD has a GREAT program but it is so hard to get in as it is now a top 20 college in the nation. Plus you can get a lot of money to play with on grants! But like i said, it is really hard to get into that school now!
      The Weather Forecaster Webpage

Comment

Originally posted by WXFORECASTER View Post
        You don't hear about a lot of the research only because the grads don't normally go into TV. But U of MD has a GREAT program but it is so hard to get in as it is now a top 20 college in the nation. Plus you can get a lot of money to play with on grants! But like i said, it is really hard to get into that school now!
        The U of Maryland is a good school, but top 20? That would put it ahead of the U of Michigan.

I seriously doubt it, wxforecaster. And, no, I didn't go to UMich.

Comment

Originally posted by donpaul0 View Post
          The U of Maryland is a good school, but top 20? That would put it ahead of the U of Michigan.

I seriously doubt it, wxforecaster. And, no, I didn't go to UMich.
          You are right. It WAS in the top 20 back in 2003. I knew it was a top 20 school before!

http://www.newsdesk.umd.edu/archive/...&ArticleID=790
          The Weather Forecaster Webpage

Comment

Originally posted by WXFORECASTER View Post
            You are right. It WAS in the top 20 back in 2003. I knew it was a top 20 school before!
            Excellent. ANOTHER met, besides me, who reminisces about the good ol' days...
            Enjoy the veal! Be sure to tip your weatherman!

Comment

Whoop!

Where are my fellow Aggies? I had a lot of fun studying weather at Texas A&M! Since I did not go to graduate school, I cannot speak for it. But I have friends who went through it and they seem to be doing ok.
              Life is like the weather, it always changes.

Comment

Originally posted by vorticitywx9 View Post
                Where are my fellow Aggies? I had a lot of fun studying weather at Texas A&M! Since I did not go to graduate school, I cannot speak for it. But I have friends who went through it and they seem to be doing ok.
                You and B Hines must have tons o' fun talking football!

Comment

A friend of mine heard Tech referred to as the 'Sand Aggies' on the radio this morning. I don't think it's possible to cram more actual school insults/ethnic slurs into only two words.
                  Six-year-olds are generally rubbish at drawing but, being among the best cloudspotters in the world, they are actually quite good at drawing Cumulus.

Comment

I was wondering if the University of AZ or Cornell are good grad schools? Because Im really interested in going to both...
                    Last edited by FutureWxManNimmy; Feb 20th 2009, 08:22 PM.
                    Extracted from the Game Show Lingo...

Chuck: " I have rule that has nothing to do you....but I have a rule.
                    Shandy Finnesy: What's that?
                    Chuck: Never date a girl who carries a dog.
                    Shandy Finnesy: So, you would never date me?
                    Chuck..Nope! <sarcastically>

Comment

Originally posted by FutureWxManNimmy View Post
                      I was wondering if the University of AZ or Cornell are good grad schools? Because Im really interested in going to both...
                      you really need to look at what you want to go into specifically instead of what schools you might like or you could end up somewhere that doesn't suit your needs.

also, you really need to narrow down what direction of meteorology you want to head in, even if it is really generic. otherwise, you'll just get a thread full of "my school is better than your school" type jokes and slams. kind of what has already started to happen, though it is a good read, it is not very helpful for you.

models, research, lightning, tv, climate, hurricanes, mid-lat. cyclones, something must specifically interest you! you can be vague, but give a direction for better help.

Comment

Originally posted by thegimp View Post
                        you really need to look at what you want to go into specifically instead of what schools you might like or you could end up somewhere that doesn't suit your needs.

also, you really need to narrow down what direction of meteorology you want to head in, even if it is really generic. otherwise, you'll just get a thread full of "my school is better than your school" type jokes and slams. kind of what has already started to happen, though it is a good read, it is not very helpful for you.

models, research, lightning, tv, climate, hurricanes, mid-lat. cyclones, something must specifically interest you! you can be vague, but give a direction for better help.
                        Ok....sorry about that...but Im interested in specializing in Severe Weather or Numerical Modeling. What schools have the best programs in those?

Comment

I'm going to say hands down U of OK for svr weather and I'm a PSU grad. I'll admit I'm a little jealous that I didn't go there in the first place because the storm chasing opportunities just abound there. They also have some very well known and respected professors on staff that focus on mesoscale weather, i.e. tornadogenesis and convective storms. So you will certainly learn a lot from them and learn a lot in the field, an invaluable commodity there...because reading and looking at pictures and data of events is one thing but to actually see and feel an event unfolding in person and being able to observe everything going on around you in the atmosphere is priceless. And being geographically where they are it does not take as much grant money to conduct research on svr weather so as a student you will get a lot more data or "bang" for your buck!

As far as numeric models when I was at PSU we had a couple guys who were real gurus when it came to models, in fact I was lucky enough to have JM Fritsch as a professor, if you look him up he is a world renowned forecaster and even has a model he build from the ground up. He may of had a little help but from what I know he programmed the entire model himself. He also co created the Kain-Fritsch convective prameterization scheme which is used by several models.

Comment

OK University has diversity?

Originally posted by QVectorman View Post
                            I'm going to say hands down U of OK for svr weather and I'm a PSU grad. I'll admit I'm a little jealous that I didn't go there in the first place because the storm chasing opportunities just abound there. They also have some very well known and respected professors on staff that focus on mesoscale weather, i.e. tornadogenesis and convective storms. So you will certainly learn a lot from them and learn a lot in the field, an invaluable commodity there...because reading and looking at pictures and data of events is one thing but to actually see and feel an event unfolding in person and being able to observe everything going on around you in the atmosphere is priceless. And being geographically where they are it does not take as much grant money to conduct research on svr weather so as a student you will get a lot more data or "bang" for your buck!

As far as numeric models when I was at PSU we had a couple guys who were real gurus when it came to models, in fact I was lucky enough to have JM Fritsch as a professor, if you look him up he is a world renowned forecaster and even has a model he build from the ground up. He may of had a little help but from what I know he programmed the entire model himself. He also co created the Kain-Fritsch convective prameterization scheme which is used by several models.

Oooh OKU seems very interesting but I dont want to go there because of the racism there...is there any other states that specialize in severe weather or numerical modeling?
                            Last edited by FutureWxManNimmy; Feb 21st 2009, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureWxManNimmy View Post
                              Oooh OKU seems very interesting but I dont want to go there because of the racism...is there any other states that specialize in severe weather or numerical modeling?
                              Racism? I know some of our wxliners are rather racy, but as an -ism? I never paid attention...
                              Enjoy the veal! Be sure to tip your weatherman!

Comment

Originally posted by wx or not View Post
                                Racism? I know some of our wxliners are rather racy, but as an -ism? I never paid attention...
                                No no no not you guys but the people there are racist.

Comment

Working...
                                X