Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama press credentials: Ethics question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd cover it with an exact font replica that states "CHANGE...PLEASE DONATE TO ME...I'M WITH THE PRESS....
    Enjoy the veal! Be sure to tip your weatherman!

Comment

Covered an Obama event last month ... the press had to sign in before they were issued their credentials, a process that included listing your business e-mail address. The very next day, and for several days thereafter, I received e-mails from the Obama campaign asking for my help in getting him elected ... much like someone who had donated money might receive. (I quickly asked them to remove my name from their lists) I realize it's reasonable for them to assume that most of the press is in the tank for Obama (which they certainly are), but that seemed a bit much. Never had that happen with any other political candidate I've covered.
      If you're too lazy to lift a kitchen table to chop his leg nuts, you can also include in your diet any unsalted fish such as trout.

Comment

Feh, it's just a press pass. If you're using one, chances are there's much bigger Obama signage where you are, and nobody's looking at your pass.

When McCain and Palin came to GB last week, their press pass was an overhead shot of pre-2003 renovation Lambeau Field, with the McCain star logo Photoshopped onto the field and "McCAIN-PALIN" in the end zones.

Yeah, that thingy up top. (Bad omen, considering the Dallas game was coming up...let's not go there, Produce.)

Weird thing is...at McCain events, all you have to do is show your regular press credentials at the door, and they give you the event's press pass. No pre-registration necessary. Not so with Obama's campaign.

Weird.
        Retired from professional wrestling. (But you can still find me on Facebook & Twitter.)

Comment

Less stress is best.

Comment

Originally posted by east coast producer View Post
            If you haven't seen them, this is the Obama campaign-issued press pass:

I'm curious.. would you have a problem wearing that? Rather than some sort of elaborate pass to foil counterfeiters and to identify you as press, these carry campaign slogans.

I'd have an ethical issue wearing a press pass with a campaign slogan smeared across it. Is this typical? Would you have an ethical problem with it? How would you handle it?
            If the logo and slogan sizes were switched I think it would be appropriate. I'm fine with a huge logo... but a huge slogan, not so fond of.

Comment

Originally posted by Clever Login Name View Post
              Covered an Obama event last month ... the press had to sign in before they were issued their credentials, a process that included listing your business e-mail address. The very next day, and for several days thereafter, I received e-mails from the Obama campaign asking for my help in getting him elected ... much like someone who had donated money might receive. (I quickly asked them to remove my name from their lists) I realize it's reasonable for them to assume that most of the press is in the tank for Obama (which they certainly are), but that seemed a bit much. Never had that happen with any other political candidate I've covered.
              This is why I use a good old standby on all forms I have to sign in for -- acooper@cnn.com
              I'm arguing that you can't DISPROVE the existence of unicorns. -- TVMattNYC

Comment

Originally posted by The Thrill View Post
                Feh, it's just a press pass. If you're using one, chances are there's much bigger Obama signage where you are, and nobody's looking at your pass.
                Agreed, Thrill.

But... if you're expected to wear the pass at all times, and you're doing liveshots or S/U's while wearing it around your neck, it would be fairly obvious to a viewer at home.

Not to mention promotional.
                MediaLine Job of the Day and Today's Talent Showcase are updated daily on my Twitter account. Would appreciate the follow @randysteinman

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Steinman View Post
                  Agreed, Thrill.

But... if you're expected to wear the pass at all times, and you're doing liveshots or S/U's while wearing it around your neck, it would be fairly obvious to a viewer at home.

Not to mention promotional.
                  A) That doesn't look like the kind of pass you'd wear around your neck.
                  B) Even if you add your own lanyard and wear it around your neck while reporting, you can tuck the lanyard in your pocket, wrap it around a belt loop, give it to the photog to hold, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X