When You're Wearing a Mic.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When You're Wearing a Mic.....

Never say anything you don't want going on air.

KSN offers apology after on-air obscenity
    BY HURST LAVIANA
    The Wichita Eagle
    The sports director for KSN, Channel 3, uttered an obscenity on air during the 6 p.m. newscast Thursday, prompting the station to issue an on-air apology four hours later.

Jim Kobbe, who has been sports director for more than a year, apparently became frustrated with technical problems before he shouted the expletive over the sound of a pre-recorded story.

"Obviously he didn't know his mike was on," KSN news director Todd Spessard said. "It doesn't matter what the circumstances were, it was inexcusable."

A tape of the broadcast played for The Eagle showed that the incident occurred just after Kobbe wrapped up a live discussion with a colleague who was preparing to cover the Wichita State University basketball game.

After the discussion, the station went to a taped story, and Kobbe obviously assumed his microphone was off.

On the tape, he can clearly be heard shouting, "F--- you, Buzz!" --apparently directing his frustration at a technical director working on the newscast.

Spessard said he could not discuss Kobbe's status at the station, but said, "I can assure you that an appropriate disciplinary action has been taken.

"It was obviously an honest mistake, but it doesn't excuse it," he said.

Spessard said Kobbe was apologetic when he learned what had happened. He was not at the station for the 10 o'clock newscast.

In addition to embarrassment, KSN could face a sizable Federal Communications Commission fine for the incident.

KSN led its 10 o'clock newscast with an apology, delivered by news anchor Paul Petitte, that asked viewers for understanding and for them to continue to watch the station.

[ January 09, 2007, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Shank ]

That's about average. When the show rocks it is all about the talent and the producer, but have any technical problems and the production crew gets cursed.

Comment

I've been watching some video feeds off of news websites lately, and am starting to worry, how often do people have access to listen in on what we're saying without noticing it? Take for example this video.

http://www.wyff4.com/video/10681315/index.html

A friend was watching their live feed earlier, and said he heard much more earlier today. A while back, I was watching a live internet feed where I could hear reporter/producer and master control, and a few obscenities were flying around. It just makes you think before you put on a mic during a hectic shift.

Comment

Rule #1 for working in TV:

Whenever you're wearing a mic, ALWAYS assume it's HOT and never say anything that you wouldn't want everybody to hear. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by DoneThatToo:
          When the show rocks it is all about the talent and the producer, but have any technical problems and the production crew gets cursed.
          Speak it brotha! Sad but true.

Every station. Everywhere.
          In other news.....you suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Should Old Big Country Be Forgot:
            Rule #1 for working in TV:

Whenever you're wearing a mic, ALWAYS assume it's HOT and never say anything that you wouldn't want everybody to hear. Period.
            Well said!
            You must command respect, not demand it.

Comment

Taking it one step farther....Never do or say anything in the studio you wouldn't say or do in front of your mother in church !..I almost got a weekend sports guy fired years ago when I was directing. He flipped me the bird on camera about 5 sec before we came to him. He paid a visit to the ND's office on Monday
              This space for rent !

Comment

Add radio to that list....

Comment

Found it !! The Wichita F-bomb [img]graemlins/icon_pidu.gif[/img]
                  This space for rent !

Comment

Originally posted by the original buttongod:
                    Found it !! The Wichita F-bomb [img]graemlins/icon_pidu.gif[/img]

Comment

KSN deals suspension to Kobbe
                      Sports anchor says he will return to the newscast on Tuesday.
                      BY KIRK SEMINOFF
                      The Wichita Eagle

Jim Kobbe finished his 6 p.m. sportscast Thursday and was preparing to leave the studios of KSNW, Channel 3 for the Wichita State basketball game when he was told to hold on.

An obscenity Kobbe had yelled at a technical director while he thought his microphone was off had it made it on the air. He was suspended two working days, he said, and will return to the newscast Tuesday.

"I didn't know what happened until I got off the air," Kobbe said Friday. "I had a meeting with the news director and I said, 'Hey, I have no defense.' "

KSNW news director Todd Spessard would not comment on Kobbe's suspension, saying it was a personnel matter.

On a day where Kobbe would normally be at the station preparing for a night of high school basketball and college hoops and a Chiefs playoff game this weekend, he was taking calls, e-mails and text messages of support from friends.

"It's been a combination of me just feeling embarrassed and foolish and being regretful," Kobbe said. "But that's been very nice for so many people to call and say they understand how mistakes happen and don't let it get me down."

Kobbe said the sportscast had technical problems and something was said in his earpiece that spurred him to lash out. He said, "F----off, Buzz!" during a taped segment.

"I lashed out wrongly," Kobbe said. "Even if the mike wasn't open, I was still in the wrong."

Spessard said viewer reaction has been positive.

"I think it means the people like Jim," Spessard said. "He's very well respected in the community, and I think it's in people's nature to be forgiving and understanding."
                      "Only narcissists quote themselves."

-tater

Comment

Can't believe this hasn't been pointed out yet...

When Your Wearing a Mic.....
                        When my wearing a mic what?
                        'Business doesn't exist to be a charity. It exists to screw over anyone and everyone it can for the betterment of the select few at the top of the food chain, the welfare of the workers who support it be damned. And it does so with thunderous applause from the right wing who are blind, unknowing, ignorant instruments of their own extinction.' - News Is Broken, 1/24/13

Comment

A mic orbiter.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mockingbird:
                            A mic orbiter.
                            Ah yes... as opposed to the mic shuttle.

So who is Buzz and what exactly did he do to justify having sex?
                            'Business doesn't exist to be a charity. It exists to screw over anyone and everyone it can for the betterment of the select few at the top of the food chain, the welfare of the workers who support it be damned. And it does so with thunderous applause from the right wing who are blind, unknowing, ignorant instruments of their own extinction.' - News Is Broken, 1/24/13

Comment

Originally posted by the original buttongod:
                              Taking it one step farther....Never do or say anything in the studio you wouldn't say or do in front of your mother in church !..I almost got a weekend sports guy fired years ago when I was directing. He flipped me the bird on camera about 5 sec before we came to him. He paid a visit to the ND's office on Monday
                              Ooh! Don't you feel all powerful, tattletale?

[ January 09, 2007, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: Marty McFly ]

Comment

Working...
                              X