Old Jun 29th 2009, 09:41 AM   #1
baldingwxguy
Open Line Veteran

Send a message via AIM to baldingwxguy
Default Lapse rate question

I'm a bit rusty...I think I know the answer to this (polar region) but I'm not sure how to do a good job explaining it scientifically. This came from a viewer who's taking classes in meteorology.

"Where would you expect the moist adiabatic rate to be greater: in the tropics or near the North Pole? Explain why.
When I read the material I get confused and kinda talk myself in circles...Cold air doesn't have as much and can't hold as much water vapor as warm air, so it can't release much latent heat. The more water vapor in the air, the more latent heat can be released when condensation takes place, and any warming by latent heat partially offsets the cooling of rising air... Condensation occurs mostly at higher temp. So this leads me to believe it would be greater over the tropics, but when you consider the fact the air is saturated at the North Pole, you lean the other way. Please help!!!"
Old Jun 29th 2009, 09:43 AM   #2
TAFKA wacowx
King of all Meteo

Send a message via AIM to TAFKA wacowx

HINT: Check the slope of the adiabats on a Skew-T diagram.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 09:46 AM   #3
wx or not
A Bit Off Center

It's the tropics. The adiabatic region is defined as where convection controls the vertical distribution of temperature. Steeper temperature lapse rates would result in greater updraft buoyancy.

edit: Consider tornadogenesis and the impact that greater lapse rates would have.

Last edited by wx or not; Jun 29th 2009 at 10:02 AM.
wx or not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2009, 09:48 AM   #4
TAFKA wacowx
King of all Meteo

Poles:

As for the why/explain: There is much less water vapor at the lower temperatures of the poles, therefore, the air will cool much more quickly than saturated air in the tropics.

More water vapor=more condensation with increase in height=increased latent heat production=less of a temperature drop

MA lapse rate in colder climes is much larger meaning many more degrees lost per quivalent increase in height from a saturated parcel of air.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:15 AM   #5
ill tempered kelp monkey

Balding,

where were you when I was actually in school? you could've been worth about 1.0+ on the ole gpa.
ill tempered kelp monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:38 AM   #6
wx or not
A Bit Off Center

waco, thank you. I agree with you. When I went to class, we threw sticks in the air. If they came down wet, we knew convection could be at play.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:48 AM   #7
MOCR
Open Line Veteran

You had sticks?? Man, we didn't even have AIR when I was in school. We learned lapse rates of cooling lava back then...

Old Jun 29th 2009, 11:02 AM   #8
wx or not
A Bit Off Center

You had a SCHOOL? I would've killed for one of those. Our classes were held in trees, and we swung down every day just to pick up our learning materials...
Old Jun 29th 2009, 01:58 PM   #9
News Is Broken
Left of my own accord.

Location: No longer here. This forum has been overrun by trolls and I'm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wx or not View Post
You had a SCHOOL? I would've killed for one of those. Our classes were held in trees, and we swung down every day just to pick up our learning materials...
Wait... you had TREES?

All mouth and no stones New York'rr chickens out of a simple bet.

"Mr. Broken is being a bad boy." - Traffic Goddess
News Is Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2009, 05:05 PM   #10
Stormtracker_Tony
Open Line Elite

Send a message via AIM to Stormtracker_Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKA wacowx View Post
HINT: Check the slope of the adiabats on a Skew-T diagram.
This was my first thought...By looking at the Skew-T, you'll notice the moist adiabats (redish/brownish lines) are much steeper at colder temps...

Stormtracker_Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th 2009, 01:12 AM   #11
itelltheweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldingwxguy View Post
I'm a bit rusty...I think I know the answer to this (polar region) but I'm not sure how to do a good job explaining it scientifically. This came from a viewer who's taking classes in meteorology.

"Where would you expect the moist adiabatic rate to be greater: in the tropics or near the North Pole? Explain why.
When I read the material I get confused and kinda talk myself in circles...Cold air doesn't have as much and can't hold as much water vapor as warm air, so it can't release much latent heat. The more water vapor in the air, the more latent heat can be released when condensation takes place, and any warming by latent heat partially offsets the cooling of rising air... Condensation occurs mostly at higher temp. So this leads me to believe it would be greater over the tropics, but when you consider the fact the air is saturated at the North Pole, you lean the other way. Please help!!!"
My Reply: DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK!
itelltheweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th 2009, 02:09 AM   #12
Stormtracker_Tony
Open Line Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by itelltheweather View Post
My Reply: DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK!
Reminds me of the time I got a basic weather question from a viewer email that was worded in a textbook form...My response was:

Hi XXX, Sounds like a nice school project you've got there. My advice would be to go to your school library and check out some books that are related to this topic. If you don't have any luck with that, there are also places called the "public library" that you probably have somewhere near your area. These are like school libraries, but much bigger and have more books that your school probably doesn't have. You will almost certainly find what you're needing there. If there's anything in those books that you don't understand, feel free to email me back with what it says and I'll try to explain what it's saying a little better. Have a great day!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 03:41 AM   #13
TAFKA wacowx
King of all Meteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtracker_Tony View Post
This was my first thought...By looking at the Skew-T, you'll notice the moist adiabats (redish/brownish lines) are much steeper at colder temps...
What do you mean by 'steeper'?

The brown lines to the left have a much more gentle slope (let's say around 45 degrees) as compared to the ones at higher temps (80-90 degrees)
If they were hills, which would you rather climb? Which is steeper?

In my definition of steep, the warmer readings win...their slope is much steeper.

Either way, the temperature drops more, i.e. the lapse rate is greater, along the moist adiabat in colder climes.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 04:16 AM   #14
itelltheweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtracker_Tony View Post
Reminds me of the time I got a basic weather question from a viewer email that was worded in a textbook form...My response was:

Hi XXX, Sounds like a nice school project you've got there. My advice would be to go to your school library and check out some books that are related to this topic. If you don't have any luck with that, there are also places called the "public library" that you probably have somewhere near your area. These are like school libraries, but much bigger and have more books that your school probably doesn't have. You will almost certainly find what you're needing there. If there's anything in those books that you don't understand, feel free to email me back with what it says and I'll try to explain what it's saying a little better. Have a great day!
In my last market, in late April for three years running I would get dozens of emails asking for the month's climate data. The requests would come mostly from parents and a few bold students. I would make sure I got their names and passed them along to the science teachers at the elementary school doing the project. I guess the parents never thought of it as cheating. I bet they were shocked when their kid didn't get an A on an easy project.
itelltheweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th 2009, 08:28 AM   #15
Stormtracker_Tony
Open Line Elite

Quote:
What do you mean by 'steeper'?

The brown lines to the left have a much more gentle slope (let's say around 45 degrees) as compared to the ones at higher temps (80-90 degrees)
If they were hills, which would you rather climb? Which is steeper?

In my definition of steep, the warmer readings win...their slope is much steeper.

Either way, the temperature drops more, i.e. the lapse rate is greater, along the moist adiabat in colder climes.
I get what you're saying...By steeper, I was referring to the phrase "Steeper lapse rates"...As in, a drop in temp of 7 degrees/kilometer is steeper than a drop of 5 degrees/kilometer...The slope is actually "flatter" on the graph at colder temps, but it's "steeper lapse rates" by definition as the temperatures fall at a greater rate with height.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 04:14 AM   #16
baldingwxguy
Open Line Veteran

Send a message via AIM to baldingwxguy

Quote:
Poles:

As for the why/explain: There is much less water vapor at the lower temperatures of the poles, therefore, the air will cool much more quickly than saturated air in the tropics.

More water vapor=more condensation with increase in height=increased latent heat production=less of a temperature drop

MA lapse rate in colder climes is much larger meaning many more degrees lost per quivalent increase in height from a saturated parcel of air.

Thanks waco...this is essentially what I was thinking.