Old Jan 5th 2007, 08:46 AM   #1
Shank

Never say anything you don't want going on air.

KSN offers apology after on-air obscenity
BY HURST LAVIANA
The Wichita Eagle
The sports director for KSN, Channel 3, uttered an obscenity on air during the 6 p.m. newscast Thursday, prompting the station to issue an on-air apology four hours later.

Jim Kobbe, who has been sports director for more than a year, apparently became frustrated with technical problems before he shouted the expletive over the sound of a pre-recorded story.

"Obviously he didn't know his mike was on," KSN news director Todd Spessard said. "It doesn't matter what the circumstances were, it was inexcusable."

A tape of the broadcast played for The Eagle showed that the incident occurred just after Kobbe wrapped up a live discussion with a colleague who was preparing to cover the Wichita State University basketball game.

After the discussion, the station went to a taped story, and Kobbe obviously assumed his microphone was off.

On the tape, he can clearly be heard shouting, "F--- you, Buzz!" --apparently directing his frustration at a technical director working on the newscast.

Spessard said he could not discuss Kobbe's status at the station, but said, "I can assure you that an appropriate disciplinary action has been taken.

"It was obviously an honest mistake, but it doesn't excuse it," he said.

Spessard said Kobbe was apologetic when he learned what had happened. He was not at the station for the 10 o'clock newscast.

In addition to embarrassment, KSN could face a sizable Federal Communications Commission fine for the incident.

KSN led its 10 o'clock newscast with an apology, delivered by news anchor Paul Petitte, that asked viewers for understanding and for them to continue to watch the station.

[ January 09, 2007, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Shank ]
Shank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:43 AM   #2
DoneThatToo
Open Line Veteran

That's about average. When the show rocks it is all about the talent and the producer, but have any technical problems and the production crew gets cursed.
DoneThatToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:47 PM   #3
bw3508

I've been watching some video feeds off of news websites lately, and am starting to worry, how often do people have access to listen in on what we're saying without noticing it? Take for example this video.

http://www.wyff4.com/video/10681315/index.html

A friend was watching their live feed earlier, and said he heard much more earlier today. A while back, I was watching a live internet feed where I could hear reporter/producer and master control, and a few obscenities were flying around. It just makes you think before you put on a mic during a hectic shift.
bw3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th 2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Big Country

Rule #1 for working in TV:

Whenever you're wearing a mic, ALWAYS assume it's HOT and never say anything that you wouldn't want everybody to hear. Period.
Big Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th 2007, 04:28 PM   #5
Fargin Icehole
Open Line Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by DoneThatToo:
When the show rocks it is all about the talent and the producer, but have any technical problems and the production crew gets cursed.
Speak it brotha! Sad but true.

Every station. Everywhere.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 05:47 PM   #6
Clubbeat

Quote:
Originally posted by Should Old Big Country Be Forgot:
Rule #1 for working in TV:

Whenever you're wearing a mic, ALWAYS assume it's HOT and never say anything that you wouldn't want everybody to hear. Period.
Well said!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 02:05 AM   #7
the original buttongod
Open Line Veteran

Send a message via AIM to the original buttongod Send a message via MSN to the original buttongod Send a message via Yahoo to the original buttongod
Taking it one step farther....Never do or say anything in the studio you wouldn't say or do in front of your mother in church !..I almost got a weekend sports guy fired years ago when I was directing. He flipped me the bird on camera about 5 sec before we came to him. He paid a visit to the ND's office on Monday
Old Jan 6th 2007, 12:22 PM   #8
CleanBreeze

Add radio to that list....
Old Jan 6th 2007, 03:38 PM   #9
the original buttongod
Open Line Veteran

Send a message via AIM to the original buttongod Send a message via MSN to the original buttongod Send a message via Yahoo to the original buttongod
Found it !! The Wichita F-bomb [img]graemlins/icon_pidu.gif[/img]
Old Jan 6th 2007, 03:53 PM   #10
Big Country

Quote:
Originally posted by the original buttongod:
Found it !! The Wichita F-bomb [img]graemlins/icon_pidu.gif[/img]
Big Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th 2007, 05:42 AM   #11
tater
Medialine Smack Talker

KSN deals suspension to Kobbe
Sports anchor says he will return to the newscast on Tuesday.
BY KIRK SEMINOFF
The Wichita Eagle

Jim Kobbe finished his 6 p.m. sportscast Thursday and was preparing to leave the studios of KSNW, Channel 3 for the Wichita State basketball game when he was told to hold on.

An obscenity Kobbe had yelled at a technical director while he thought his microphone was off had it made it on the air. He was suspended two working days, he said, and will return to the newscast Tuesday.

"I didn't know what happened until I got off the air," Kobbe said Friday. "I had a meeting with the news director and I said, 'Hey, I have no defense.' "

KSNW news director Todd Spessard would not comment on Kobbe's suspension, saying it was a personnel matter.

On a day where Kobbe would normally be at the station preparing for a night of high school basketball and college hoops and a Chiefs playoff game this weekend, he was taking calls, e-mails and text messages of support from friends.

"It's been a combination of me just feeling embarrassed and foolish and being regretful," Kobbe said. "But that's been very nice for so many people to call and say they understand how mistakes happen and don't let it get me down."

Kobbe said the sportscast had technical problems and something was said in his earpiece that spurred him to lash out. He said, "F----off, Buzz!" during a taped segment.

"I lashed out wrongly," Kobbe said. "Even if the mike wasn't open, I was still in the wrong."

Spessard said viewer reaction has been positive.

"I think it means the people like Jim," Spessard said. "He's very well respected in the community, and I think it's in people's nature to be forgiving and understanding."

-tater
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th 2007, 02:59 AM   #12
Marty McFly
Place the 6 & 8

Send a message via ICQ to Marty McFly Send a message via AIM to Marty McFly
Can't believe this hasn't been pointed out yet...

Quote:
When Your Wearing a Mic.....
When my wearing a mic what?
'Business doesn't exist to be a charity. It exists to screw over anyone and everyone it can for the betterment of the select few at the top of the food chain, the welfare of the workers who support it be damned. And it does so with thunderous applause from the right wing who are blind, unknowing, ignorant instruments of their own extinction.' - News Is Broken, 1/24/13
Marty McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th 2007, 03:02 AM   #13
The Mockingbird
SECRET NO/FORN

A mic orbiter.
The Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th 2007, 03:16 AM   #14
Marty McFly
Place the 6 & 8

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mockingbird:
A mic orbiter.
Ah yes... as opposed to the mic shuttle.

So who is Buzz and what exactly did he do to justify having sex?
'Business doesn't exist to be a charity. It exists to screw over anyone and everyone it can for the betterment of the select few at the top of the food chain, the welfare of the workers who support it be damned. And it does so with thunderous applause from the right wing who are blind, unknowing, ignorant instruments of their own extinction.' - News Is Broken, 1/24/13
Old Jan 9th 2007, 03:31 AM   #15
Marty McFly
Place the 6 & 8

Quote:
Originally posted by the original buttongod:
Taking it one step farther....Never do or say anything in the studio you wouldn't say or do in front of your mother in church !..I almost got a weekend sports guy fired years ago when I was directing. He flipped me the bird on camera about 5 sec before we came to him. He paid a visit to the ND's office on Monday
Ooh! Don't you feel all powerful, tattletale?

[ January 09, 2007, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: Marty McFly ]
Old Jan 9th 2007, 03:54 AM   #16
Fargin Icehole
Open Line Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty McFly:
It sounds disrespectful and unprofessional and should not happen in the workplace (or in the orbiter).
Old Jan 9th 2007, 03:57 AM   #17
Too Much Time

Management should fire that Buzz guy.
He must be a retard as nobody has a nickname like Buzz anymore.
Too Much Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th 2007, 04:06 AM   #18
Marty McFly
Place the 6 & 8

Quote:
Originally posted by Fargin Icehole:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Marty McFly:
It sounds disrespectful and unprofessional and should not happen in the workplace (or in the orbiter).</font>[/QUOTE]There are a strict set of rules to be followed in the Orbiter.

The shuttle is for nimrods and children.

I second the termination of Buzz. What a gay name.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 08:14 AM   #19
Shank

Quote:
Can't believe this hasn't been pointed out yet...

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />When Your Wearing a Mic.....
When my wearing a mic what?</font>[/QUOTE]Sorry, I didn't actually go to college, but I did get a camcorder and two vcrs when i was 12 so I figured that was training enough to write and be on the tv

[ January 09, 2007, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Shank ]
Old Jan 9th 2007, 09:08 AM   #20
Marty McFly
Place the 6 & 8

I didn't go to college either.

But here, let me help you.

Your = Your mom is fat.
You're = You are fat.

Get it?
Old Jan 9th 2007, 09:29 AM   #21
The Mockingbird
SECRET NO/FORN

Yes, but was she affected by her obesity, and had the doctor effected a cure with gastric bypass surgery?
The Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:40 AM   #22
Shank

Quote:
I didn't go to college either.

But here, let me help you.

Your = Your mom is fat.
You're = You are fat.

Get it?
Thanks for the help but I got it before you pointed it out the first time.. I made a typo and should have used you are in the title of the post...

Then I was making a joke about all the recent goings on on this forum and you snap... just calm down a little... man some people
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:42 AM   #23
Shank

P.S. to grammar police.. typo is now fixed... hope all is well...
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:45 AM   #24
chuckbrown

The main weather anchor at KETK in Tyler Texas had a similar screw up. He did it during a cut-in. They fired the kid who he's talking to in the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8t02AKwh70
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:57 PM   #25
Marty McFly
Place the 6 & 8

Quote:
Originally posted by Shank:
P.S. to grammar police.. typo is now fixed... hope all is well...
Defendant is sentenced to time served!