Old Apr 26th 2012, 04:50 AM   #1
WX GUY

Default Life After TV News?

Hey all,

After 8 years, it looks like I will be leaving the business, like so many others before me. I'll admit I'm sad, because this is the only thing I ever wanted to do, but it's just not feasible to stay anymore- not knowing where I could land, not being able to put down roots anywhere, or move on to the next step with my girlfriend with financial stability.

Anyway, I'm grateful to have supportive family and friends around me; it is difficult and has been tough coming to this conclusion.

Now my attention turns to: what's next? I'm from NYC, so I know there are the plethora of opportunities there. I'm guessing my communications and media experience will do me more good than my meteorology at this point, right?

Any suggestions or anyone with experience in transitioning into something else have any advice?

Thanks again; this board was so helpful in the past when I made my tv decisions. It's a shame I have to give up what I love, but with time running out on an extension of my current contract, and no opportunities in TV on the horizon, I think now is the best time to transition out.

WXGUY

Last edited by WX GUY; Apr 26th 2012 at 05:25 AM. Reason: spelling
WX GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th 2012, 06:32 AM   #2
vortmaximum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WX GUY View Post
Hey all,

After 8 years, it looks like I will be leaving the business, like so many others before me. I'll admit I'm sad, because this is the only thing I ever wanted to do, but it's just not feasible to stay anymore- not knowing where I could land, not being able to put down roots anywhere, or move on to the next step with my girlfriend with financial stability.

Anyway, I'm grateful to have supportive family and friends around me; it is difficult and has been tough coming to this conclusion.

Now my attention turns to: what's next? I'm from NYC, so I know there are the plethora of opportunities there. I'm guessing my communications and media experience will do me more good than my meteorology at this point, right?

Any suggestions or anyone with experience in transitioning into something else have any advice?

Thanks again; this board was so helpful in the past when I made my tv decisions. It's a shame I have to give up what I love, but with time running out on an extension of my current contract, and no opportunities in TV on the horizon, I think now is the best time to transition out.

WXGUY
Business is changing and changing fast. I think many in this same situation. There is a fine line between broadcast meteorology and sales. Have you thought of sales?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 06:44 AM   #3
WX GUY

People told me this when I got in in 2004, but even back then there were jobs.

Sales? I never thought of it, but have been told it's also horrible to get into. Not sure about that, but I'm pretty much open to anything at this point.
WX GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th 2012, 08:33 AM   #4
WXFORECASTER
#1 in WX FORECASTING

Send a message via AIM to WXFORECASTER Send a message via Yahoo to WXFORECASTER

First off let me welcome you to the bright side of life!! No more unpaid OT. Good Benefits. No more judgmental bosses who know nothing about the business they are in. A normal life and dare I tell you... Are you ready.. REAL VACATION and you can take it whenever you want!

I will admit, when I got out, I thought i wanted to die because I loved TV weather so much. This was my dream!!! I couldn't believe that a layoff (which can happen in any business) was ending my dream job. But let me tell you, it was a blessing in disguise. I seen my family so much more. I am taking up my 2nd dream, which I couldn't do while on TV because on the "contract" which is DJ'ing trance and progressive music! I got a job at another weather company located where the NWS conference is this year (I wonder which one???). Overall I am FREE!!! I can go storm chasing. I don't have to be at work to babysit thunderstorms. Do I miss it?? Not as much anymore. I am really love Dj'ing now!!!!

If you need any pep talk, just PM me and I will give you 10x more benefits being out then being in!

Again, welcome to the bright side!!!!!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 10:08 AM   #5
The Mockingbird
SECRET NO/FORN

First: Congratulations! Getting out the door is the first step. Now you just have to figure out what you want to do with your life.

The good news is, you can work just about anywhere else and get better benefits and hours than TV news. You'll appreciate having Christmas off in a way that few others can ever understand.

That's where networking comes in. Keep in touch with your fellow meteorological ex-pats, and they might be able to point you in a good direction.

Also, as you may or may not know, the biggest employer of Meteorologists in the nation is NOAA. They have something like 400 jobs open at various skill levels: check them out at usajobs.com.

Hope that helps!
The Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th 2012, 10:09 AM   #6
donpaul0

Because you are actually familiar with the scientific method, maybe you could look into becoming a science/technical writer for print or in a public relations firm with the appropriate clients.
donpaul0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:39 AM   #7
platypus

After fourteen years in the biz, I got out of TV last year. I used my science background to get into brewing school. The past several months were extremely bumpy (it helps to have an understanding girlfriend), but I am now brewing beer at a rapidly-growing company that ships all over the country.

I still freelance on the side, but to be honest, I don't miss TV at all. I encourage you to sit down with your girlfriend and make a list of long term goals. In addition, make a list of all of your passions in life. Then try to choose a path that will allow you to achieve your goals while following your passion. I know this sounds silly, but it worked for me and might for you. Good luck!
platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:39 PM   #8
rdale
Too much drama, no wx...

First2Warn is always looking for some side-work consultants that have weather knowledge...
rdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th 2012, 05:23 PM   #9
WXFORECASTER
#1 in WX FORECASTING

Send a message via AIM to WXFORECASTER Send a message via Yahoo to WXFORECASTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus View Post
After fourteen years in the biz, I got out of TV last year. I used my science background to get into brewing school. The past several months were extremely bumpy (it helps to have an understanding girlfriend), but I am now brewing beer at a rapidly-growing company that ships all over the country.

I still freelance on the side, but to be honest, I don't miss TV at all. I encourage you to sit down with your girlfriend and make a list of long term goals. In addition, make a list of all of your passions in life. Then try to choose a path that will allow you to achieve your goals while following your passion. I know this sounds silly, but it worked for me and might for you. Good luck!
I am kinda jealous of that!!! Free beer that you made whenever you want!! That is sweet! BTW.. what state??? I would like to see if I could find some at this beer store that has every beer known to man. You can PM the beer name if you want too. I would love to try it!
Old Apr 27th 2012, 04:04 AM   #10
Wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus View Post

You win the award for the best post TV job. Let me know if there are any beer taster openings.
"Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."
- Cliff Claven
Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th 2012, 01:53 PM   #11
platypus

It's in San Diego, along with dozens of other amazing breweries. The beer scene here is nuts! I'll PM you the specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXFORECASTER View Post
I am kinda jealous of that!!! Free beer that you made whenever you want!! That is sweet! BTW.. what state??? I would like to see if I could find some at this beer store that has every beer known to man. You can PM the beer name if you want too. I would love to try it!
Old Apr 27th 2012, 02:01 PM   #12
platypus

Haha! Yeah, I really like my job. The work is hard (physical labor) and the hours are long, but at the end of the day I get to enjoy my product. In addition, I get to choose where I live, I have most weekends and Holidays off, and I have job stability in a company that has doubled in size during the recession. The pay isn't stellar, but that wasn't necessarily on my list of long term goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
You win the award for the best post TV job. Let me know if there are any beer taster openings.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 08:07 AM   #13
Roy Hobbs
Open Line Effete

There are all kinds of things you can do after TV News.

Learn to treasure the moment, count your blessings for what you have (and had), and look forward to excitement with whatever God has in store for you next. Works for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Katherine_Manatra 3 May 08.jpg (85.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg The Man From U.N.C.L.E..jpg (89.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Marko_Jim080411.jpg (86.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Sept.28-2011 007.jpg (93.1 KB, 13 views)
Roy Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote