PDA

View Full Version : When You're Wearing a Mic.....

Shank
Jan 5th 2007, 08:46 AM
Never say anything you don't want going on air.

KSN offers apology after on-air obscenity
BY HURST LAVIANA
The Wichita Eagle
The sports director for KSN, Channel 3, uttered an obscenity on air during the 6 p.m. newscast Thursday, prompting the station to issue an on-air apology four hours later.

Jim Kobbe, who has been sports director for more than a year, apparently became frustrated with technical problems before he shouted the expletive over the sound of a pre-recorded story.

"Obviously he didn't know his mike was on," KSN news director Todd Spessard said. "It doesn't matter what the circumstances were, it was inexcusable."

A tape of the broadcast played for The Eagle showed that the incident occurred just after Kobbe wrapped up a live discussion with a colleague who was preparing to cover the Wichita State University basketball game.

After the discussion, the station went to a taped story, and Kobbe obviously assumed his microphone was off.

On the tape, he can clearly be heard shouting, "F--- you, Buzz!" --apparently directing his frustration at a technical director working on the newscast.

Spessard said he could not discuss Kobbe's status at the station, but said, "I can assure you that an appropriate disciplinary action has been taken.

"It was obviously an honest mistake, but it doesn't excuse it," he said.

Spessard said Kobbe was apologetic when he learned what had happened. He was not at the station for the 10 o'clock newscast.

In addition to embarrassment, KSN could face a sizable Federal Communications Commission fine for the incident.

KSN led its 10 o'clock newscast with an apology, delivered by news anchor Paul Petitte, that asked viewers for understanding and for them to continue to watch the station.

[ January 09, 2007, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Shank ]

DoneThatToo
Jan 5th 2007, 10:43 AM
That's about average. When the show rocks it is all about the talent and the producer, but have any technical problems and the production crew gets cursed.

bw3508
Jan 5th 2007, 12:47 PM
I've been watching some video feeds off of news websites lately, and am starting to worry, how often do people have access to listen in on what we're saying without noticing it? Take for example this video.

http://www.wyff4.com/video/10681315/index.html

A friend was watching their live feed earlier, and said he heard much more earlier today. A while back, I was watching a live internet feed where I could hear reporter/producer and master control, and a few obscenities were flying around. It just makes you think before you put on a mic during a hectic shift.

Big Country
Jan 5th 2007, 02:54 PM
Rule #1 for working in TV:

Whenever you're wearing a mic, ALWAYS assume it's HOT and never say anything that you wouldn't want everybody to hear. Period.

Fargin Icehole
Jan 5th 2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by DoneThatToo:
When the show rocks it is all about the talent and the producer, but have any technical problems and the production crew gets cursed.Speak it brotha! Sad but true.

Every station. Everywhere.

Clubbeat
Jan 5th 2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Should Old Big Country Be Forgot:
Rule #1 for working in TV:

Whenever you're wearing a mic, ALWAYS assume it's HOT and never say anything that you wouldn't want everybody to hear. Period.Well said!

the original buttongod
Jan 6th 2007, 02:05 AM
Taking it one step farther....Never do or say anything in the studio you wouldn't say or do in front of your mother in church !..I almost got a weekend sports guy fired years ago when I was directing. He flipped me the bird on camera about 5 sec before we came to him. He paid a visit to the ND's office on Monday

CleanBreeze
Jan 6th 2007, 12:22 PM
Add radio to that list....

the original buttongod
Jan 6th 2007, 03:38 PM
Found it !! The Wichita F-bomb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0D4BDeMv4A) graemlins/icon_pidu.gif

Big Country
Jan 6th 2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by the original buttongod:
Found it !! The Wichita F-bomb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0D4BDeMv4A) graemlins/icon_pidu.gif :eek:

tater
Jan 7th 2007, 05:42 AM
KSN deals suspension to Kobbe
Sports anchor says he will return to the newscast on Tuesday.
BY KIRK SEMINOFF
The Wichita Eagle

Jim Kobbe finished his 6 p.m. sportscast Thursday and was preparing to leave the studios of KSNW, Channel 3 for the Wichita State basketball game when he was told to hold on.

An obscenity Kobbe had yelled at a technical director while he thought his microphone was off had it made it on the air. He was suspended two working days, he said, and will return to the newscast Tuesday.

"I didn't know what happened until I got off the air," Kobbe said Friday. "I had a meeting with the news director and I said, 'Hey, I have no defense.' "

KSNW news director Todd Spessard would not comment on Kobbe's suspension, saying it was a personnel matter.

On a day where Kobbe would normally be at the station preparing for a night of high school basketball and college hoops and a Chiefs playoff game this weekend, he was taking calls, e-mails and text messages of support from friends.

"It's been a combination of me just feeling embarrassed and foolish and being regretful," Kobbe said. "But that's been very nice for so many people to call and say they understand how mistakes happen and don't let it get me down."

Kobbe said the sportscast had technical problems and something was said in his earpiece that spurred him to lash out. He said, "F----off, Buzz!" during a taped segment.

"I lashed out wrongly," Kobbe said. "Even if the mike wasn't open, I was still in the wrong."

Spessard said viewer reaction has been positive.

"I think it means the people like Jim," Spessard said. "He's very well respected in the community, and I think it's in people's nature to be forgiving and understanding."

Marty McFly
Jan 9th 2007, 02:59 AM
Can't believe this hasn't been pointed out yet...

When Your Wearing a Mic..... When my wearing a mic what?

The Mockingbird
Jan 9th 2007, 03:02 AM
A mic orbiter.

Marty McFly
Jan 9th 2007, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by The Mockingbird:
A mic orbiter.Ah yes... as opposed to the mic shuttle.

So who is Buzz and what exactly did he do to justify having sex?

Marty McFly
Jan 9th 2007, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by the original buttongod:
Taking it one step farther....Never do or say anything in the studio you wouldn't say or do in front of your mother in church !..I almost got a weekend sports guy fired years ago when I was directing. He flipped me the bird on camera about 5 sec before we came to him. He paid a visit to the ND's office on MondayOoh! Don't you feel all powerful, tattletale?

[ January 09, 2007, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: Marty McFly ]

Fargin Icehole
Jan 9th 2007, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Marty McFly:
Ooh! Don't you feel all powerful, tattletale?It sounds disrespectful and unprofessional and should not happen in the workplace (or in the orbiter).

Too Much Time
Jan 9th 2007, 03:57 AM
Management should fire that Buzz guy.
He must be a retard as nobody has a nickname like Buzz anymore.

Marty McFly
Jan 9th 2007, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Fargin Icehole:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Marty McFly:
Ooh! Don't you feel all powerful, tattletale?It sounds disrespectful and unprofessional and should not happen in the workplace (or in the orbiter).</font>[/QUOTE]There are a strict set of rules to be followed in the Orbiter.

The shuttle is for nimrods and children.

I second the termination of Buzz. What a gay name.

Shank
Jan 9th 2007, 08:14 AM
Can't believe this hasn't been pointed out yet...

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />When Your Wearing a Mic..... When my wearing a mic what?</font>[/QUOTE]Sorry, I didn't actually go to college, but I did get a camcorder and two vcrs when i was 12 so I figured that was training enough to write and be on the tv :rolleyes:

[ January 09, 2007, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Shank ]

Marty McFly
Jan 9th 2007, 09:08 AM
I didn't go to college either.

But here, let me help you.

Your = Your mom is fat.
You're = You are fat.

Get it?

The Mockingbird
Jan 9th 2007, 09:29 AM
Yes, but was she affected by her obesity, and had the doctor effected a cure with gastric bypass surgery?

Shank
Jan 9th 2007, 11:40 AM
I didn't go to college either.

But here, let me help you.

Your = Your mom is fat.
You're = You are fat.

Get it?Thanks for the help but I got it before you pointed it out the first time.. I made a typo and should have used you are in the title of the post...

Then I was making a joke about all the recent goings on on this forum and you snap... just calm down a little... man some people

Shank
Jan 9th 2007, 11:42 AM
P.S. to grammar police.. typo is now fixed... hope all is well...

chuckbrown
Jan 9th 2007, 11:45 AM
The main weather anchor at KETK in Tyler Texas had a similar screw up. He did it during a cut-in. They fired the kid who he's talking to in the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8t02AKwh70

Marty McFly
Jan 9th 2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Shank:
P.S. to grammar police.. typo is now fixed... hope all is well...Defendant is sentenced to time served! :D

Shank
Jan 9th 2007, 01:22 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shank:
P.S. to grammar police.. typo is now fixed... hope all is well...Defendant is sentenced to time served! :D </font>[/QUOTE]I can live with that graemlins/cheers2.gif

Fargin Icehole
Jan 10th 2007, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by chuckbrown:
They fired the kid who he's talking to in the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8t02AKwh70WTF!?!?!!? You HAVE to be kidding? Why?? Did Chesner get any kind of discipline?

Bandit '07
Jan 10th 2007, 08:58 AM
He said, "F----off, Buzz!" during a taped segment.

Spessard said viewer reaction has been positive.

"I think it means the people like Jim," Spessard said. "He's very well respected in the community, and I think it's in people's nature to be forgiving and understanding." Yeah, or they really HATE Buzz. graemlins/eusa_whistle.gif

chuckbrown
Jan 10th 2007, 12:58 PM
WTF!?!?!!? You HAVE to be kidding? Why?? Did Chesner get any kind of discipline?[/QB]Not that I'm aware of. I was just told from someone who works there that they canned the kid. From the sound of it the guy handled himself very professionally but still got fired. Someone had to be the scapegoat. sux, huh?

Roy Hobbs
Jan 12th 2007, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Too Much Time:
He must be a retard as nobody has a nickname like Buzz anymore.HEY!

http://www.nndb.com/people/320/000023251/buzz-aldrin.jpg

Signature on File
Jan 13th 2007, 08:03 AM
Between liveshots, I always like to repeat newsroom rumors around the open mic in the field, to the control room. It's the only good stuff the "cave dwellers" ever hear. It's even better when you make up crap and get it started going around.

Fargin Icehole
Jan 15th 2007, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by H R Puff&Stuff:
Between liveshots, I always like to repeat newsroom rumors around the open mic in the field, to the control room. It's the only good stuff the "cave dwellers" ever hear. It's even better when you make up crap and get it started going around.It's even better when it's all caught on tape so everyone blames YOU. :D

Mr T
Jan 15th 2007, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Too Much Time:
He must be a retard as nobody has a nickname like Buzz anymore.Hey, I worked with a really nice guy named "Buzz." I don't even know his real name, just "Buzz."