PDA

View Full Version : Fox Reporter Gets Engaged on Air


Meow Meow
Jul 18th 2007, 07:58 PM
Traffic/features reporter Andrea Robinson from KSAZ-FOX Arizona gets a surprise. Her boyfriend proposed to her on air during a wedding segment.

Video of Proposal (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/myfox/pages/InsideFox/GoodDay?pageId=5.2)

[ July 18, 2007, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Meow Meow ]

Judge
Jul 18th 2007, 08:22 PM
Juicy. Let's analyze:

Her first words:
"what are you doing?" (you're shocking me!!)

Her second words:
"what are you doing HERE?!! (you're SO embarrassing me!!!)

Her third words:
"Oh no!!!" (NOT good)

I'm no shrink, but I've gotta believe her hostile gut reaction wasn't good.

3 years, tops.

Sorry.

Pinkie
Jul 18th 2007, 09:00 PM
Best wishes to both of them.

But I'd kill him for doing that.

Judge
Jul 18th 2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Pinkie:
Best wishes to both of them.

But I'd kill him for doing that.I was kidding in my post.

But it sounded as if her gut reaction was to kill him.

upandown
Jul 18th 2007, 09:44 PM
But did she ever finish the story?

At least he dressed up for the occasion.

Another side
Jul 19th 2007, 01:52 AM
White people.

*sigh*

From the Right
Jul 19th 2007, 02:05 AM
These must stop. They're stupid and self serving and at best should be confined to markets 150+. I think a lot of these dorks do the "public" proposal to avoid a "private" NO.

STOP THE MADNESS!

wxman1985
Jul 19th 2007, 02:56 AM
I tried this on the air twice, but got tired of hearing no.......

rootboyslim
Jul 19th 2007, 02:57 AM
Let us not forget---we are the story.

Upandown---I thought the same thing. Porr Jerry O'Connell got left there hangning! What will the folks in Pheonix do?

Gail sirens
Jul 19th 2007, 05:57 AM
Those egotistical personal airings are dumber than dirt.

vuphinder
Jul 19th 2007, 06:21 AM
He looks like a news shooter. Does he work at the station as well?

miss hap
Jul 19th 2007, 08:27 AM
I'm there with Judge, she backs away and says "no." (The anchor team had more chemistry than the wedding couple.)

See Upandown, The Kid isn't the only one who doesn't know when to dress for important events (lunch with you isn't the same as proposing on air, but still...)

Well, I'm trying to ban all grumpiness today so, "mazel tov!"

ZuZu's Petals
Jul 19th 2007, 09:06 AM
I've always believed that events such as a marriage proposal should be intimate and private - therefore to make it special. (a grand display is fine - but it shouldn't be overtly public)

If my boyfriend did that, I'd be disappointed.

Her reaction seemed odd. If my boyfriend proposed... even in that manner - I think I'd say 'I love you' even if I were trying to be reserved because I was on television.
I'm left thinking hmmm.

s'news
Jul 19th 2007, 09:12 AM
Now they can have viewers help them pick out the wedding cake and stuff.

Omega Man
Jul 19th 2007, 09:13 AM
Please. Make it stop.

kray
Jul 19th 2007, 11:21 AM
Wow. You all seem very cynical. I am happy for Andrea and you would be if you knew her, too. What's cool about this is she has been with that station since interning during college....

I think it's awesome. Congrats to her!

Clever Login Name
Jul 19th 2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks, Andrea.

tralala
Jul 19th 2007, 11:49 AM
All I have to say is nice catch Andrea! I don't think a man who looks like that has much fear of hearing no! ;)

Produce man
Jul 19th 2007, 12:19 PM
I've been through this at my old shop. We had to cut back to the studio when the male reporter shoved his tongue down the female reporter's throat.

I have to admit, though, the viewers ate it up.

kray
Jul 19th 2007, 12:37 PM
I'm not her, I'm just saying. I worked there and I know all of the morning staff and they are great, and I am truly happy for her!

TopRamen
Jul 19th 2007, 12:40 PM
Now all we need is for Chuck Woolery to start anchoring the news. (apologies if I butchered his name). This is just not appropriate. It's not even original. Stop this madness. Now.

SamG
Jul 19th 2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Produce man:

I have to admit, though, the viewers ate it up.THERE'S the key. Think about all the viewer phone calls, emails, letters, etc when an anchor changes their hair, makeup, gets pregnant, etc.

Viewers (ok, SOME) look at television personalities as part of the family and want to share in events like this.

Judge
Jul 19th 2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by kray:
Wow. You all seem very cynical. I am happy for Andrea and you would be if you knew her, too. What's cool about this is she has been with that station since interning during college....
Wow. 6 whole weeks experience. Who knew.

Another side
Jul 19th 2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by SamG:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Produce man:

I have to admit, though, the viewers ate it up.THERE'S the key. Think about all the viewer phone calls, emails, letters, etc when an anchor changes their hair, makeup, gets pregnant, etc.

Viewers (ok, SOME) look at television personalities as part of the family and want to share in events like this.</font>[/QUOTE]That's true, but they're blue-hairs. And they're dropping like flies, which may explain the industry's overall lower numbers.

I think there needs to be a moratorium on this and similar foolishness until the bride-to-be says "No." Then televise that.

Produce man
Jul 19th 2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Another side:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SamG:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Produce man:

I have to admit, though, the viewers ate it up.THERE'S the key. Think about all the viewer phone calls, emails, letters, etc when an anchor changes their hair, makeup, gets pregnant, etc.

Viewers (ok, SOME) look at television personalities as part of the family and want to share in events like this.</font>[/QUOTE]That's true, but they're blue-hairs. And they're dropping like flies, which may explain the industry's overall lower numbers.
</font>[/QUOTE]:confused: Huh? Every piece of research I've seen indicates there are more blue-hairs than ever.

ZuZu's Petals
Jul 19th 2007, 03:04 PM
Kray,

I don't think anyone is saying they are not pleased for her.

Fact is, they don't know her - sort of like the viewers don't really know her enough to be subjected to such a personal and intimate moment.

We've seen tons of these. as others said.. it's not original and it's an inappropriate use of air time.
Granted, she clearly didn't make the decision - but someone along the chain of command should have stopped it before it got that far.

And yes, her fiance is a hottie - but it looked like even he was a bit unprepared, considering his attire and his little - teeny tiny -speech.

Another side
Jul 19th 2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Produce man:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Another side:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SamG:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Produce man:

I have to admit, though, the viewers ate it up.THERE'S the key. Think about all the viewer phone calls, emails, letters, etc when an anchor changes their hair, makeup, gets pregnant, etc.

Viewers (ok, SOME) look at television personalities as part of the family and want to share in events like this.</font>[/QUOTE]That's true, but they're blue-hairs. And they're dropping like flies, which may explain the industry's overall lower numbers.
</font>[/QUOTE]:confused: Huh? Every piece of research I've seen indicates there are more blue-hairs than ever.</font>[/QUOTE]Oh, there are, if you include the Baby Boomer generation. But they're dying off faster than any other age group ...simply because they're old -- or getting old. That's all I meant. (Master of the Obvious, I know.)

ISTHISTHINGON?
Jul 19th 2007, 03:30 PM
I'm not a huge fan of on-air proposals...but morning shows that have a big following...viewers do bond with the talent...it's not the end of the world. It was during the feature segment...so the news was going to be fluff anyway. Kinda sweet...(sniff)...I mean...(eyes water)...the way she (tear falls) was so surprised....(crying)...it was soooo sweeeeeet. She had me at hello.
On a sidenote, I thought it was kinda funny on the blog about the proposal the number of guys hinting that it sux because she's now off the market. graemlins/eusa_shifty.gif

Spike
Jul 19th 2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Another side:
Oh, there are, if you include the Baby Boomer generation. But they're dying off faster than any other age group ...simply because they're old -- or getting old. That's all I meant. (Master of the Obvious, I know.)So despite the fact that they have more money to spend than other demographics and are therefore of particular interest to advertisers, you'd rather ignore them. Because who wants the station to make money, right?

Roy Hobbs
Jul 20th 2007, 11:32 PM
One more bold step in the Crappification of local news.

Pregnant Reporter
Jul 21st 2007, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by ZuZu's Petals:
Kray,

I don't think anyone is saying they are not pleased for her.

Fact is, they don't know her - sort of like the viewers don't really know her enough to be subjected to such a personal and intimate moment.

We've seen tons of these. as others said.. it's not original and it's an inappropriate use of air time.
Granted, she clearly didn't make the decision - but someone along the chain of command should have stopped it before it got that far.

And yes, her fiance is a hottie - but it looked like even he was a bit unprepared, considering his attire and his little - teeny tiny -speech.I agree with all this, other than the fiance being a hottie. Because I'm so bored with the whole idea I didn't click on the link to watch it.

I thought on air proposals were cheesy in 1991 when I got my first on-air job, and I still think it now. Thank God my husband was much more original that that!

I would think anybody you're going to marry ought to know you well enough to know if you'd be thrilled with an on-air engagement or not. So she had to have known about it, or that at least it was a possibility. That's the real tragedy in this. She could have prevented it!

ISTHISTHINGON?
Jul 21st 2007, 12:54 PM
Good morning show = Hard News + Soft News/Feature segments(and all the weather/traffic trix) put in the right spots.
On-air proposal= Soft News/Feature
Cheesy yes. But it's no worse than the stories that WOULD have been in that spot.
Holy Crap! I can't believe I'm defending this. graemlins/eusa_doh.gif

adam &amp; doctor drew
Jul 21st 2007, 04:26 PM
will their divorce be part of the show in a few years?
how bout a death in the family?
what if a relative or friend gets arrested?

the personal lives of anchors don't belong in the newscast.
period.

drink the koolaid
Jul 21st 2007, 04:44 PM
made the show go over two minutes,,, totally screwed the producer.

adam &amp; doctor drew
Jul 21st 2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by drink the koolaid:
made the show go over two minutes,,, totally screwed the producer.if that's true, I'd blame the producer for not saving enough time for it.
it looked like everyone knew it was coming.

Clubbeat
Jul 25th 2007, 09:12 AM
I didn't like it when Ahmad Rashad did this live during an NBC pro football game to "Mrs. Huxtable".

It's cheesy. If you want to propose in public, buy a full page ad in the local rag, billboard etc.

booyah
Jul 25th 2007, 11:08 PM
Hell, forget proposals. I got married, live, on the local evening news. Yes, it was a bit of a stunt on the station's part (the groom was a photographer of theirs, who had cancer), but it was an uplifting story and was for a good cause (cancer research). Plus, we would have been getting married at the Relay for Life anyway. TMI, I know. But it's late, I'm tired and apparently lonely and hungry for attention.

FWIW, I think surprise on-air proposals are so yesterday. But viewers do come to feel that they know you. I can tell you from personal experience, they are capable of asking some seriously intimate and personal questions.

Which prompts the following question for on-air folks: what is the strangest thing a viewer ever said to you or asked you?

For me it was questions about my ethnicity.
People still to this day supposedly still ask my former coworkers about it. Odd, because I am not particularly ethnic. Why is that so important to so many people?

Eeps Snorps Now
Jul 26th 2007, 04:13 AM
I can't wait to see the first live gay interracial marriage proposal to an anchor in a place like, say, Topeka. : 0

Kace
Jul 26th 2007, 06:03 AM
I feel indifferent about this. Is that such a bad thing?

Clubbeat
Jul 26th 2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by booyah:
Hell, forget proposals. I got married, live, on the local evening news. Yes, it was a bit of a stunt on the station's part (the groom was a photographer of theirs, who had cancer), but it was an uplifting story and was for a good cause (cancer research). Plus, we would have been getting married at the Relay for Life anyway. TMI, I know. But it's late, I'm tired and apparently lonely and hungry for attention.

FWIW, I think surprise on-air proposals are so yesterday. But viewers do come to feel that they know you. I can tell you from personal experience, they are capable of asking some seriously intimate and personal questions.

Which prompts the following question for on-air folks: what is the strangest thing a viewer ever said to you or asked you?

For me it was questions about my ethnicity.
People still to this day supposedly still ask my former coworkers about it. Odd, because I am not particularly ethnic. Why is that so important to so many people?I think it's because people are so programmed in our country to judge a person's looks first. This is eecially true if you do not look like a certian member of an ethinic group most people can identify (white, black, asian etc).

My wife is a former anchor and people were asking me and her co-workers all the time what her ethinicity is.

Roy Hobbs
Jul 28th 2007, 12:49 PM
First Second Page post!

Sparky
Jul 29th 2007, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Eeps Snorps Now:
I can't wait to see the first live gay interracial marriage proposal to an anchor in a place like, say, Topeka. : 0Remember this? Funny stuff.

Men Kiss on The Today Show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYt6RklOFQk)

upandown
Jul 29th 2007, 06:17 AM
What's with this tradition of public or elaborate proposals, anyway?

Jane Craig
Jul 29th 2007, 06:24 AM
I think it's because our society has a paucity of The Grand Gesture and some guys think a really elaborate proposal is indicative of the greatness of their love and their ability to be romantic. And TV shows about elaborate proposals don't help (nor does the fact that when women share such stories, their guys feel pressured into one-upping). Peer pressure.

Personally, I think it's tacky -- would prefer a quiet moment to all the hoopla. A proposal is not An Event, it's a soul-deep request for a lifelong commitment.

[ July 29, 2007, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Jane Craig ]

Pregnant Reporter
Jul 29th 2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by booyah:
For me it was questions about my ethnicity.
People still to this day supposedly still ask my former coworkers about it. Odd, because I am not particularly ethnic. Why is that so important to so many people?I'm not Jewish, but I get asked constantly if I am Jewish. I never knew till I worked in TV that Jewish people had a "look."

Meow Meow
Jul 29th 2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Pregnant Reporter:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by booyah:
For me it was questions about my ethnicity.
People still to this day supposedly still ask my former coworkers about it. Odd, because I am not particularly ethnic. Why is that so important to so many people?I'm not Jewish, but I get asked constantly if I am Jewish. I never knew till I worked in TV that Jewish people had a "look."</font>[/QUOTE]I get asked if I'm Jewish pretty much every day. Apparently I "look/sound" Jewish too.

booyah
Jul 30th 2007, 12:35 AM
I wonder if it's a regional thing? Is there a significant population in your respective markets? Maybe it's just that people really want to see themselves in us.